Argyll & the Isles is the largest of the Scottish Episcopal dioceses in terms of geography. The Diocese takes in the mainland of Argyll, and stretches from the northern tip of Lewis to the Mull of Kintyre, encompassing the Hebrides, Skye, Mull, and Iona, and many smaller islands in the north. It also covers Bute, Arran and Cumbrae in the Firth of Clyde.
The Bishop is the Rt Rev Kevin Pearson.
The Diocese, which was constituted in 1847, has two Cathedrals, St John's in Oban and The Cathedral of The Isles in Millport, on the Isle of Cumbrae - the smallest Cathedral in the British Isles.
The Cathedral of the Isles and its attached College of the Holy Spirit, together with Bishop's House, Iona, also function as retreat and quiet holiday houses, offering a warm welcome to visitors of all denominations and from all over the world. The Diocese also includes the Inveraray Bell-Tower, well known in the world of campanology.
The concept of Local Collaborative Ministry, aimed at involving many more people in playing key roles in the church ministry (ordained and lay) is of vital importance to the Diocese, where many scattered congregations are unable to support a stipendiary priest.
The Diocese hosts the two Scottish Episcopal Church retreat centres: the Cathedral of the Isles, Millport, and Bishop's House, Iona. Please see Residential and Retreat Centres for details.
Contact the diocesan office at:
St Moluag's Diocesan Centre
Links to more information about the Diocese: