The Diocese of Brechin is in the east of Scotland, and is the smallest of the seven dioceses of the Scottish Episcopal Church. It covers the City of Dundee, Angus and southern Aberdeenshire. It stretches from Muchalls in the north east down to Dundee in the south, and across to Glencarse in the south west.
The Diocese's cathedral, St Paul's, and administrative centre are in Dundee. Including the University Chaplaincy and the Cathedral, both in Dundee, there are 26 charges within the diocese - one third of which are in Dundee itself.
The Bioshop of Brechin is the Rt Rev Dr Nigel Peyton.
The Diocese continues to be named after its mediaeval centre of Brechin. It is thought to have been founded in 1153 by Bishop Samson. The Diocese had a continuous line of bishops until the Reformation, when Donald Campbell (1557) and John Sinclair (1565) were elected Bishops of Brechin, but not consecrated.
In 1566, Alexander Campbell was appointed as titular bishop. The line continued in proper form among Episcopalians with Andrew Lamb in 1610. From 1695 until 1709, the diocese was united with the Diocese of Edinburgh, with the latter's bishop, Alexander Rose, being also Bishop of Brechin. The line of independent bishops of Brechin restarted with John Falconar in 1709, and has continued to the present day.
Contact the diocesan office at:
Unit 14, Prospect iii
Technology Park, Gemini Crescent
Links to more information about the Diocese: