JOB TITLE: F&B MANAGER: Cornerstone Centre at St John’s, Princes Street, Edinburgh
Cornerstone Centre @ St John’s, Princes Street at Lothian Road, Edinburgh
2. JOB PURPOSE
The successful candidate will create and run a successful eatery inside the Cornerstone Centre @ St John’s.
3. SALARY AND HOURS OF WORK
Salary: £24k, negotiable
Hours: Full Time, 28 days of annual leave.
4. LINE MANAGEMENT
The F&B Manager will report to, work with, and be supported by the bistro-working group of the CDEL-board; and line-managed by the convenor of the CDEL-board.
Cornerstone Centre @ St John’s is the newly upgraded, refurbished, and significantly expanded community hub and retail space adjacent to the category A-listed building of St John’s Church. It is located on one of the busiest pedestrian and traffic junctions in the city centre of the Scottish capital and within minutes of some of Edinburgh’s major business, retail and cultural centres, adjacent to Princes Street Gardens and part of the Edinburgh World Heritage Site. The eatery is located on the terrace level with stunning views of the castle. It is part of the larger St John’s community of religious and non-religious progressive, inclusive, and outward-looking organisations.
CDEL is a limited membership company registered with Companies House. CDEL is in the process of hiring a finance manager to run the financial aspect of the bistro, too.
More information can be found at:
6. KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a unique opportunity to develop and implement a new concept in a recently renovated and refigured space. While this new venture will operate within a historic site, we hope to deliver a fresh, contemporary, innovative, and exciting eating experience: a cosy, all-day nature of a café with the sophistication and late-night running of a bistro that will attract people throughout the day and be known as a food destination by residents and visitors of Edinburgh. We are looking for somebody to create a hospitable place with a fresh, well balanced, and memorable menu.
We hope the enterprise will provide a significant financial return for CDEL. The initial draft business plan can be viewed upon request. The F&B Manager will lead the development of a vision and concept and, once approved, its implementation. Hiring and training of a chef, kitchen staff, an assistant manager, and serving staff in consultation with the board will also be a top priority.
We expect the F&B Manager to create a safe and enjoyable environment for guests and staff regardless of gender-identity, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, or physical or mental ability.
The success of this new West End eating experience is dependent on the effectiveness of the management. The successful development of this venture will depend to a large extent on the imagination, initiative and energy of the manager. A combination of flexibility, enthusiasm, innovation and sound organisational skills is essential. This job description is not exhaustive and is liable to review.
CDEL’s personnel manual can be viewed upon request.
As F&B Manager the successful candidate will
- develop and manage relationships with customers, staff and suppliers;
- work closely with the chef;
- recruit, train and manage staff;
- manage all aspects of the daily running, including restocking and delivery of goods, and ensuring a smooth running of the operation and proper administration;
- provide reports on request and liaise with the finance manager as necessary, including contributing to the preparation of the annual tax return and maintenance of the appropriate records, reports and annual returns;
- prepare information for the payroll, which will be managed by the finance manager;
- be responsible for specified administrative functions in connection with stock management, ordering and receiving product deliveries and helping with the smooth running of the staff rota;
- run a profitable enterprise;
- be responsible for all cash handling and till system (EPOS);
- coordinate the use of the venue and its kitchen with other Cornerstone users;
- be responsible for all stock and stock management, including deficits and surplus;
- acquaint herself/himself with current regulations relating to Health and Safety at Work, Food Handling and Hygiene Regulations, Fire Fighting equipment and precautions; and to ensure compliance;
- communicate with the line manager and the board on a regular basis and implement their decisions.
7. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Proven relevant management and organisational skills – with thoroughness and attention to detail.
- Proven leadership and ability to work on own initiative without supervision.
- Knowledge of food and food preparation.
- Strong communications skills.
- Food Hygiene or Food Handling Certificate is required (Assistance in achieving this will be made available).
- Proven interpersonal skills – able to develop good work relationships, enjoy meeting and working with people at all levels and from diverse walks of life.
- Computer literacy (word processing, database, spread-sheet and Internet research).
- A working knowledge of budgets and budgetary control.
- Energy and persistence to see tasks through to successful completion and able to work additional hours when necessary.
- A working knowledge of Health and Safety requirements.
- An ability to establish a rapport with a wide cross section of society and with the St John’s community.
- Ability to work well within a medium-sized organisation.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Friendly and welcoming personality.
- Able to deal with money responsibly.
- Attention to detail.
- Willingness to work within the CDEL and St John’s family.
Working with the public
We look for a person who is friendly and approachable when dealing with people attending, visiting, and utilising this specific venue in particular and the entire campus in general.
8. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
The bistro-working group reserves the right to change or update the job description from time to time in agreement with the post holder.
For an application form or any other inquiry, please contact
The Revd Markus Dünzkofer, Convenor of the CDEL Board