Diocese of Edinburgh
Pastoral Development Assistant
St Cuthbert’s Episcopal Church Colinton
We seek to employ, for a newly created part time post, a pastoral development assistant to work, in consultation with the Rector, in helping to develop the pastoral activities of our church and community.
St Cuthbert’s is a medium sized congregation situated in the village of Colinton on the out- skirts of Edinburgh, our area extends into Colinton Mains and Oxgangs. You can find more about St Cuthbert’s at our website http://stcuthbertscolinton.org.uk/
This position would suit someone ordained or with a theological background. Other suitably qualified and experienced applicants would be considered.
We would expect candidates to have experience of parish work and with leading worship. We require someone:-
- Who is familiar with the Scottish Episcopal Church
- Who is able to lead, and, work as part of teams as well as individually.
- Who has a knowledge of and respect for traditional worship but also an innovative and modern approach especially regarding work with children and young people and their families and how this is integrated into the life of the church especially with the elderly.
Children & Young people:-
The pastoral development assistant will be expected to
- Help identify, train, support and cooperate with Sunday School Leaders for our small but growing number of children. With this team to produce and develop programmes for term time Sunday mornings. Assist and prepare for the once a month all age service.
- To develop innovative ways of reaching out into our community to welcome more families and children.
- Recognise the support required by modern parents to enable them to bring children to church activities
- Have an awareness of programmes suitable for teenagers and, in consultation with the Rector and others. help develop this work.
Work with the Elderly Members, sick and housebound
- Attend meetings of Pastoral Care Group
- Dependent on qualifications and experience; to assist with and lead services, including Holy Communion.
- Visit as required.
- Liaise with and report to Rector on needs of individuals
Support and lead as required mid week services: These include; Said Holy Communion, Wednesday 1030am; Ecumenical Service Thursday 2.30pm, this service is led by a team including the Rector, the minister of Colinton Parish Church and other lay people. Monthly services at local 2 care homes. Monthly St Raphael’s Group.
Hours: The hours will be 16 per week. Times to be agreed.
Salary: pro rata minimum stipend of Scottish Episcopal Church
This post will require PVG Disclosure
Applications including a CV should be sent to Marie Neil, Church Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org. You are welcome to have a discussion about the post and work with the Rector, Nicki McNelly, on 0131 441 7580.
Scottish Charity Number SC007578