The following is a list of minor works identified by the Provincial Buildings Committee as referred to in Canon 35, Section 1.
A. Furniture and Fixtures
1. Decorative banners used for displays not lasting more than three months.
2. Fire Extinguishers (subject to the recommendation of the local Fire Officer as to location).
3. Introduction of movable bookcases or display stands.
B. Items of Work/Maintenance
1. Works of routine maintenance on the fabric of the church not involving demolition or additions of any sort, except where in the opinion of the Diocesan Buildings Committee they will result in a material alteration either externally or internally to the appearance of the church or affect its setting. This permitted work includes, for example, the replacement like-for-like of broken roof tiles or slates, clear, stained, painted or coloured window glass, cleaning gutters and down pipes.
2. Works of maintenance, repair and minor alterations to existing heating systems and electrical equipment and fittings which do not alter the appearance of the exterior or interior of the building (and for the avoidance of doubt this permission does not include alterations to light fittings).
3. Modification to an existing, or installation of a new, heating system for the church building which does not involve disruption to the fabric or any alterations to the appearance of the exterior or interior of the building (the introduction of new radiators are regarded as alterations to the appearance of the interior for this purpose)..
4. Installation of a certified loop system for the hard of hearing (but if the system requires placement of loudspeakers approval must be sought).
5. External or internal decoration or redecoration (but only in the same colour scheme as the existing decoration) and replacement of carpets and curtains in the same colour as existing.
November 2010 (re-issued March 2011)