Resources for the Selection and Discernment Process
On this page you will find links to a number of resources for candidates for ministry and for Vocations Advisors (VAs) and Assistant Director of Ordinands (ADOs) within the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Enquirers & Candidates
|Enquiry for Discernment iForm and Notes
|Enquirer & Candidate Reading List (updated Jun 2021)
|Candidate for Ordained Ministry Charity Trustee Declaration
Vocations Advisors (VAs) and Assistant Director of Ordinands (ADOs)
|Vocations Advisors, Wardens of Lay Readers and Assistant Director of Ordinands Handbook 2024
|Guidance for Incumbents
|Criteria for Selection
|ADO Assessment Report
|VA Recommendation Form
|Sponsoring Papers (1)
|Sponsoring Papers (2)
|Reference Request Letter
Suggestions for further reading are available here.
Resources for Deacons
Truly Called by God to Serve as Deacon: The report of the Bishops Working Group on Distinctive Diaconate is available from the General Synod Office and for download in the table below:
|Truly Called by God to Serve as Deacon
|Truly Called . . . Two
|Diaconal liturgical norms
|The Vocational Diaconate in the SEC*
* select the booklet setting on your print menu to print as an A5 booklet.
Exploring your vocation
Read our overview on exploring your vocation, and different forms of service to the Church.
- Life Is For Giving: A toolkit for exploring your calling Andy Rider CHP (978-1-78140-098-2): a clearly structured workbook, prompting biblical and personal reflection. ‘Life is for Giving’ will help you hear God’s voice speaking through your history, your present reality, your identity and the community you are a part of, uncovering ways in which God is already shaping you, and opening you to hear his voice speaking directly to your heart. In twelve reflections it explores how our past shapes us, how to understand our identity, and how God speaks to us. Each reflection is accompanied by actions to help you explore your vocation to the full.’
- Grove Leadership booklet 39 Being Ourselves and Denying Ourselves: Losing and Finding Yourself as a Christian Leader
- Grove Spirituality booklet 105 Vocation: Exploring Call and Identity
- The SHAPE workbook originally devised by Canon Amiel Osmaston of the Diocese of Carlisle designed to help vocational enquirers discover their gifts and aptitudes. You can read more here.
- ‘Looking for Leaders’ from CPAS. CPAS also has a resource called Talk Calling for 14-18 year olds
- The Church of England has produced a series of videos called Faith in Action
- Details about an Anglican vocation to religious life can be found here: Anglican Religious Life Yearbook
Read our overview on Vocations Sunday, which includes links to sample prayers, sermon topics etc.
- The Church of England site for Vocations Sunday, with a large number of sermon outlines, texts, articles, suggestions for discussion and worship, including ideas and material for all-age worship.
- The Church of Scotland site for Vocations Sunday, which they observe on the second Sunday of Advent. There are sermon reflections for the texts for that day, general prayers and substantial worship material on the theme of vocation, meditations and hymn suggestions.
- A large number of weblinks to resources related to the Lectionary texts for each Sunday: Bible commentary, sermons, discussions, full liturgies and prayers, art and media, children’s resources and music.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org