Resources for the Selection and Discernment Process
On this page you will find links to a number of resources for candidates for ministry and for Vocations Advisors (VAs) and Assistant Director of Ordinands (ADOs) within the Scottish Episcopal Church.
Enquirers & Candidates
|Enquiry for Discernment iForm and Notes||Word|
|Enquirer & Candidate Reading List||Word|
|Candidate for Ordained Ministry Charity Trustee Declaration||Word|
Vocations Advisors (VAs) and Assistant Director of Ordinands (ADOs)
|Vocations Advisors and Assistant Director of Ordinands Handbook 2019||Word
|Guidance for Incumbents||Word|
|Criteria for Selection||Word|
|ADO Assessment Report||Word|
|VA Recommendation Form||Word|
|Sponsoring Papers (1)||Word|
|Sponsoring Papers (2)||Word|
|Reference Request Letter||Word|
Suggestions for further reading are available here.
Truly Called by God to Serve as Deacon: The report of the Bishops Working Group on Distinctive Diaconate is avaliable from the General Synod Office.
Exploring your vocation
Read our overview on exploring your vocation, and different forms of service to the Church.
- After Sunday is a charity that seeks to link worship and daily life. The ‘Exploring vocation’ page offers material that could be used by an individual or as a group course.
- After Sunday’s ‘Vocation in practice’ page looks at how vocation can be lived our in daily life.
- A resource from the Church Pastoral Aid Society that offers resource sheets covering Biblical background to vocation, particular aspects of calling, the discernment process etc.
- The SHAPE course from the Church Pastoral Aid Society is designed to help vocational enquirers (especially younger ones) discover their gifts and aptitudes.
- The Christian Pastoral Aid Society website as a whole is well worth a look
e.g. Resource Sheet 17 ‘Fostering Vocations’
- The main Church of England site for ordained ministry provides further resources, forms used for Bishops’ Advisory Panels in England etc.
- There is a booklet on the Anglican vocation to religious life
- Guidelines to Authorised Ministries, Lay Reader and Ordained Ministry in the Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway.
Read our overview on Vocations Sunday, which includes links to sample prayers, sermon topics etc.
- The Church of England site for Vocations Sunday, with a large number of sermon outlines, texts, articles, suggestions for discussion and worship, including ideas and material for all-age worship.
- The Church of Scotland site for Vocations Sunday, which they observe on the second Sunday of Advent. There are sermon reflections for the texts for that day, general prayers and substantial worship material on the theme of vocation, meditations and hymn suggestions.
- A large number of weblinks to resources related to the Lectionary texts for each Sunday: Bible commentary, sermons, discussions, full liturgies and prayers, art and media, children’s resources and music.
For more information, please contact email@example.com